The Good Press :: Reading Between The Lines...Living in the Ellipses... (Grind #151)
I don't know why it's been so long since I published an all-books Good Press grind. Without any irony or pun intended, a few Venti regulars have been reading me the riot act to get a book post together, so I'm here to please. May you find your next favorite book, library, author or Trivial Pursuit answer buried somewhere in the links below.
- Books published by Independent presses and university pressed are tagged as "Indie Books". Publisher's Weekly sifted through around 200 to recommend their 21 picks for some of the best indie books for adults and children that are just out or scheduled to publish later this fall.
- I'm happy for the girl who read 100 books in a month, but I think how she did it is sort of literary blasphemy.
- "What word-lover could resist the likes of ‘ornery’, ‘boondoggle’ or ‘scuttlebutt’?" - A book released this year claims that Americanisms will have completely absorbed the English language by 2120.
- How would you describe the old library's smell? A) Woody B) Vanilla C) Earthy D) Smokey? Maybe you should check out the Book Odor Wheel.
- I may have stayed awake more in high school if my textbooks had these animated covers:
- Author Terry Pratchett died in March of 2015 after a long fight with Alzheimer's disease. On August 30th, Pratchett's unfinished novels were, as he wished, destroyed by steamroller.
- The Dornoch Terrace Street Library in Highgate Hill was stolen on Monday...but returned by Tuesday afternoon.
- "The Internet and social media have trained my brain to read a paragraph or two, and then start looking around." The Death of Reading is Philip Yancey's personal crisis.
- How a bookstore clerk outed Stephen King as Richard Bachman.
- EW celebrates Stephen King's 70th Birthday with 70 Awesome Facts and Stories about the legendary author.
- According to economists, editors and professors, these are the 6 Best Business Books of 2017:
- Go Ask Alice will forever be one of my favorite books; so I was happy to see it had an impact on one of the writers featured in this article: 12 Authors on the Banned Books They’ll Never Forget.
- In honor of banned books week, the DC Public Library throws a cocktail party.
- The Underground Robot Library sorts books by size rather than the Dewey Decimal System.
- Using census date, Business Insider determined the 25 largest cities in American...and then ranked the most beautiful libraries in all twenty-five cities.
- Find yourself something new to read at Olmenta or Goodreads.
- What Should I Read Next lets you enter a book you like and recommends your next one.
- More recommended reading. Signature targets The 10 Best Books to Understand Modern War and Technology.
- Six Novels are in the running for the world's most prestigious literary award, The Man Booker Prize.
- Not a novel idea. How about 10 Short Story Suggestions.
...The Last Drop