The 20 :: Your Daily Cup of Culture (#184)
Your Daily Cup of Culture...
Here's The 20 things I found on the internet worth sharing today. Your Daily Cup of Culture can be fun, serious, thoughtful or just some great new song or something to buy. If not, you can get your money back.
1. Junk in Your Trunk - Amazon will now deliver packages to the trunk of your car.
2. Take Off Your Jacket - Emancipate your books from those pesky, clunky book jackets.
3. Heroic Efforts - James Shaw Jr. ripped an AR-15 from the hands of the Nashville shooter, who killed four people early Sunday. Then, Shaw made a GoFundMe account for those injured in the rampage. He says he's not a hero. We can beg to differ.
4. Paper Straws - Environmental groups estimate we use more than 500 million plastic straws every day in the U.S. alone causing numerous deaths of seabirds and thousands of marine animals every year. In May, McDonald’s will start using drinking straws made from paper in its 1,300 locations in the U.K., and will begin asking customers if they wish to have a straw at all.
5. FinalStraw -Is this the straw of the future?
6. Dinner Reservations - "Both Zagat and Consumer Reports surveys have found that excessive noise is the top complaint diners have, ahead of service, crowds, or even food issues." Why restaurants became so loud — and how to fight back
7. R.I.P. Bob Dorough - "It's like a light inside our childhood playrooms has gone out." Bob Dorough, the musician best known for writing and performing some of the most beloved Schoolhouse Rock songs, has died at 94. As a tribute to Dorough, here’s a ranking of all 33 of the Schoolhouse Rocksongs to which he contributed, either as a composer, performer, or both.
8. The Science of Love - Science Says This Is the Happiest Point In Your Marriage
9. Chinese Checkers - "The money will flow to where it is most welcome. Until a European review mechanism is put in—the U.S. has one, Australia has one—Europe is likely to win the lion’s share of Chinese investment. I expect a move in Europe to regulate Chinese investment, but right now it is the number one destination." How China Is Buying Its Way Into Europe
10. Obligatory Coffee Link of the Day - Costa is coming. Should Starbucks be nervous?
11. Run Forest Run - This unlikely runner in the London Marathon broke (or created?) a world record.
12. Duck, Dodge and Roll - Kansas City's Youth Ambassadors takes real life quotes from kids and makes heartrending videos as puppets sing "Lessons from my neighborhood" in "Sesame Street"-style videos for a new campaign from Kansas City nonprofit for inner city kids Youth Ambassadors--but the advice is totally shocking.
13. Books - Bill Clinton and James Patterson co-wrote an upcoming thriller novel titled 'The President Is Missing".
14. TV - If you've been watching the new Bill Hader show Barry on HBO, then you too have probably fallen for the lovable scene-stealing gangster Noho Hank played with overflowing charm by actor Anthony Carrigan.
15. Smoking Gun - The FDA is cracking down on the underage use of the popular Juul e-cigarettes after months of complaints from parents, politicians and school administrators.
16. Pop-Quiz, Hotshot! - Why was the front page of the Chicago-Sun Times blank on Monday?
17. New Song of the Day - "It Keeps Us Dancing" by The Family Crest
2018 Songs You Should Hear Playlist
18. No Guarantees - Finland is ending its basic income experiment after two years.
19. Podcast of the Day - WTF with Marc Maron is always high on my not-so-obscure list of podcast recommendations. I particularly enjoyed this one with guest actor Ted Danson.
20. The Last Drop - Golfers at Derek Jeter's golf tournament were slightly freaked out by a living statue:
If you find any peace and value in what I do, any donation, big or small, means a lot and helps keep spreading the positive vibes.
You can make a single donation in any amount you choose by clicking the button below.