The 20 :: Your Daily Cup of Culture (#188)
Your Daily Cup of Culture...
First off today, special thanks to Venti reader Lauren N. for buying me my first cup of coffee through my new Ko-Fi.com account. Much appreciated. And now Lauren is in the Ventipop Monthly drawing to win Ventipop Merch or a rad mixtape. If you'd like to support Ventipop and get your name in the drawing, any donation or cup of coffee purchase gets your name in and keeps Ventipop up and running.
And now, onto today's The 20. Here are the 20 things I found on the internet worth sharing today. Your Daily Cup of Culture can be fun, serious, thoughtful or just some great new song or something to buy. If not, you can get your money back.
1. TV / Design - Here's What Monica's Apartment from Friends Would Look Like in 2018
2. Science Fiction / The New Reality - CGI Influencers engage in a feud. Is this 2018 or 3145?
3. Movies (Spoiler Alert!) - This website will tell you if Thanos killed you.
4. Health & Beauty - Botox for your hair, or Blotox, is "the secret to a Blowout that lasts forever". (Sometimes this thing just writes itself)
5. Culture - Egypt is cracking down on 'Fake Weather' reports. Yes, 'Fake Weather'.
6. Right Arrow - Mathematician Kokichi Sugihara, of Meiji University in Japan, once again proves he’s the greatest illusion inventor of our time. Instead of just creating mind-melting images, he creates real-life 3D objects that appear to ignore the laws of our universe. His newest creation is an arrow that always points right. In fact, the only way to get it to point left is by using a mirror:
7. Dog Lovers - "When we arrived at the vet, we were informed that the short-haired puppy, now named Nutella by our daughter, was 4 months old and needed medication for her infections. I helpfully pointed out the row of sores on her belly. “Those are her nipples,” the vet said." - The Most Unpopular Dog in Germany
9. Clueless Gamers - Conan and Bill Hader work out their anger by fighting Tron elks and bass players in "God of War":
10. TV - More Conan, Less Conan. Conan announced he is shrinking his show down to 30 minutes.
11. Parenting - To bond with your kids, turn on some music?
12. New Song of the Day - "Tooth Ache" by RF Shannon
2018 New Songs You Should Hear Playlist on Spotify
14. The Boerne 0.5K - This 0.5K run for underachievers has donuts, coffee, and a smoking rest stop.
15. Floppy Software - The 10 Biggest Software Flops of All Time
16. Books - "Few things are as lovely as having an uninterrupted hour with a good book." ~ Stephen King. Two quick book recommendations: I recently finished Stephen King's collaborative effort with his son, Owen titled 'Sleeping Beauties'. This one felt like a throwback to vintage King. It is now available in paperback. I'm currently reading C.J. Tudor's debut 'The Chalk Man' and am having a hard time putting it down. Think 'Stand By Me' meets Midsomer Murders in an old English village...only much, much creepier.
17. Interview of the Day - BBC America's Killing Eve just might be my favorite show right now. I enjoyed this interview with star Sandra Oh.
18. Obligatory Coffee Link of the Day - With Mother's Day coming next weekend, here's a list of the 27 best gifts for coffee lovers directly from Baristas and Coffee Roasters.
19. Culture - The UK is About to Ban Q-Tips.
20. Joe and Fay Gock are responsible for many innovations in agriculture, including putting stickers on fruit and saving kumara from the black rot—the latter of which may be their most important, since it saved the vegetable from disappearing in New Zealand. The Gocks are Chinese refugees of the Second Sino-Japanese War. They arrived in New Zealand in the 1940s and met and fell in love in the '50s. Their charming story only compares to their wit, humor, and love of life and land. More like this please:
May you smile as much as the Gocks this weekend.
If you find any peace and value in what I do, any donation, big or small, means a lot and helps keep spreading the positive vibes.
You can make a single donation in any amount you choose by clicking the button below.
The 20 will return Monday, May 7th