Aric Harding returned to his Friendswood home to get his children's favorite stuffed animals. Then he sat down and played his flooded piano.
The horror Hurricane Harvey inflicted upon Texas cannot be overstated. Lives lost. Homes submerged. Billions upon billions needed to fully recover. The tragic stories are innumerable and unforgettable. However, in times of crisis, it's the stories of humanity and the coming together to help those in need that always rise to the floodwaters surface. People of all financial and racial backgrounds setting aside all differences and stretching the limits of human ability to reach out and assist strangers in need. This Grind is a collection of Harvey stories that are at once inspiring and heartbreaking.
- Collette Saucer died saving her child's life as Harvey's floodwaters swept them away.
- Dr. Stephen Kimmel canoed his way to the hospital to save a 16-year-old's life.
- The Atlantic provides some of the most devastating images of Harvey's flooding.
- Want To Give To Harvey Victims? 5 Things To Consider First
- Harvey help: How you can put your money to good use
- Where to Donate to Harvey Victims (and How to Avoid Scams)
- Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale, owner of Gallery Furniture, invited the displaced to shelter in his stores:
- A Birthday To Remember - Anthony celebrates his birthday in a Houston shelter surrounded by fellow evacuees.
- Hurricane Harvey from Space - Amazing before and after satellite imagery.
- "It just didn't feel right laying on the couch and watching Houston suffer." Brothers Jonathan and Joshua Evola drove 200 miles to help save lives in Houston.
- "You see what humanity can do." - NFL Houston Texan's JJ Watt's Harvey Relief Campaign has now raised nearly $17 million in donations.
- This is Houston. Wanna know what this line is for? Food? Water? Housing? Nope. These people are waiting in line TO VOLUNTEER.
- More videos and photos of tremendous bravery in the wake of Hurricane Harvey's devastation.
- This policeman worked countless hours helping victims of Hurricane Harvey until he passed out from exhaustion:
The Divided States of America - Hurricane Harvey's Lesson in Humanity by Laura Hollis is a terrific, thought-provoking article.
- "To these amazing guys that helped me and some of my neighbors dogs that I rescued. I was worried there were too many dogs on the boat and it would tip over. I told them I would stay behind and for them to make 2 trips. They said NO we are taking all and you. We had 21 dogs on this boat. No place for any humans on this boat. We had to walk in water over my head to get out."- Betty Walter, Facebook
- Stories of people banding together to save animals during Hurricane Harvey.
- An order for two grilled chicken burritos with extra egg – and a rescue boat - Chick-Fil-A's service is really unbeatable.
...The Last Drop
Amanda Palmer Shares New Hurricane Harvey Benefit Song “Drowning in the Sound”. All Proceeds Go to the Texas Diapers Bank.