According to a recent Gallup Poll, the United States rank as the 14th happiest country in the world. The top 5 are Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Netherlands. Seems like I write a lot of good things about the Dutch on Ventipop.
I laugh all the time when I watch Portlandia, so it was sort of a shock to read Portland, Oregon ranks as the unhappiest city in the country. Probably because of all the rain and clouds. 222 Days a year the sky is gray there. The full top five unhappiest cities are Portland, St. Louis, New Orleans, Detroit and Cleveland.
Top five happiest cities? Boulder (Happy, healthy bastards), Holland and Grand Haven, Michigan (maybe a war between them to settle the tie will bring their happiness down a notch), Honolulu (insert an "I got lei'd" joke here), Provo (if I had a backup wife I'd be happier too) and finally Petaluma, California which I know nothing about other than when you Google it, you find it's in the heart of Sonoma wine country so they're probably all drunk.
Anyhoo, as I try and breathe life back into a redesigned Ventipop, our focus today is on happiness. What makes me happy and what happiness means to me. We have some stories to bring some joy and others to reaffirm our faith in fellow man. Stories seeking that elusive happiness and stories invoking it. What do you find more enjoyable, the moment-to-moment joys of life or the long-term sense of accomplishment?
Or a really good chocolate cake?
LAUGH OR CRY
- I don't know if this would make the people around you happy, but researchers suggest you should go nude in public to find happiness.
- If you get the urge to do a cartwheel, that's cool. But maybe not in front of a classroom full of kids...not in a skirt...and put on some underwear.
- Maybe the key to happiness is free public urination. As late as the early 1970's in America, did you know it was common to have to pay ten cents to go pee?
- The Benny Hill Show always managed to put a smile on my face, but this story of Benny Hill's final days and death put a tear in my eye.
- Cheers to Iowa Middle School Principal Tim Hadley:
READING FOR PLEASURE
- Matthew Inman, author over at The Oatmeal, sums up perfectly my idea of happiness and why everyone shouldn't freak out when I tell them I'm not "happy" all the time. Click the pic to read his comic "How To Be Perfectly Unhappy". So, so great.
- You know what makes me happy? A story about Tinder for Orangutans.
- Or this story: "Man Not Accepting Anymore TV Recommendations At This Time".
- And videos of people renewing my faith in humanity always make me happy:
EVERYBODY JUST WANTS SOMEONE TO FISH WITH
- Gumtree is the British version of Craigslist. It's often populated with weird absurd ads like a woman wanting someone to dress up like a cat and purr while she sleeps or "Lodger Wanted, Must Wear Walrus Costume". However, all Ray Johnstone wants is someone to go fishing with.
- If you want to put things into perspective, seek meaning before happiness.
- “She was like, ‘Oh, did you see that firefighter? He’s so cute.’ And I was like, ‘Mom, I just got blown up.’ ” This Boston Marathon survivor found happiness after tragedy and is marrying the firefighter who saved her.
- And finally, we ask the age old question: Can money buy happiness?
Superbowl Weekend...The Last Drop