Good to have you back, my Pretties. In today's grind the convo circles around literature, screen addiction, beverages of choice and then right back around to bookcases. We finish things off with our first featured song in over a week. Sorry 'bout that.
We begin by talking about how important first impressions are; especially in literature. Can you name any of these opening lines from some of our most famous books?
"It was a pleasure to burn." ~ ?
"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." ~ ?
"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home." ~ ?
- Here are 34 Compelling First Lines of Famous Books.
- Why does reading in the car make you nauseous?
- Vonnegut, Kerouac, Murakami, Bukowski...not the names I would have suspected to be on the bookstore list of the most stolen books.
- Fancy yourself a literary savant? Test your book smarts with the Strand Bookstore Literary Quizzes by matching book titles to their authors.
- Screen addiction equates to a digital drug and stunts a child's creative growth. The images kids would otherwise imagine on their own are provided for them. Dr. Nicholas Kardaras, one of the nation's top addiction experts, has written a book titled Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction Is Hijacking Our Kids. The book will be released August 9th, but you can read an interview with Dr. Kardaras here.
- Remember the simple joy of sitting down to dinner with people you love? Enjoy this timely and poignant ad by IKEA of all companies:
Books and Drinks and Locked Doors
- Bottled Water is about to outsell soda for the first time ever.
- Why is LaCroix Carbonated Water the coolest non-alcoholic drink this summer? Thrillist even went out and ranked all 20 flavors. It may be good, but I refuse to ask for a "Pamplemousse".
- LaCroix is so screwed now that Crystal Pepsi is back in stores.
- 7 Foods to avoid if you want to be happier.
- A start-up company invented a shirt that's resistant to wine, coffee & sweat stains.
- There's so much I didn't know about the mysterious world of wine distribution.
- The Bookworm Rug is a great addition to your library of many leather bound books. It's also available as a tote bag, clock, throw pillow, beach towel, throw blanket, duvet cover or leggings.
- This wooden bookcase inspired by the Rubik's Cube messes with my OCD for some odd reason: