Your Daily Cup of Culture...
Here's The 20 things I found on the internet worth sharing today. Ventipop's Grind posts can be fun, serious, thoughtful, some great new song or something to buy. If not, you can get your money back.
1. The Reason Ventipop Exists - ‘I used to devour news. Now, the uninterrupted rain of it feels like chaos’ - The Guardian's Elena Ferrante
2. Horndogs - Speaking of Elena Ferrante, a character from her Neapolitan Novels pops up on this humorous list of The 10 Horniest Men in Literature.
3. Books - This makes me happy because she really leaves you on a cliff hanger with the last one: J.K. Rowling to deliver a new Robert Galbraith/Cormoran Strike mystery titled Lethal White in September.
4. Current Book Obsession - I'm about halfway through City of Thieves by David Benioff and it's so good it makes me wish he would stop his little side job as Game of Thrones co-writer and just focus on writing more novels. I think this review from the New York Times says it best with this quip, "...no recent novel I have read travels so quickly and surely between registers, from humor to devastation.”
5. PopQuiz, Hotshot! - Do you know how much the world spent on emergency relief? Which countries gave the most money? And which countries received the most? Take the Humanitarian Aid Short Quiz. (I got a 60% which is the best I've done on a test in a while)
6. You're Saying It Wrong!!! - Acai, gyro, pho, endive, jicama, mascarpone, poke, paella, Worcestershire and many more food words we can't pronounce correctly.
7. Weird Art of the Day - For some unfathomable reason, a huge statue of a topless Jeff Goldblum is now in London.
8. Underrated TV - Narcos is one of the most entertaining yet underrated shows in the Netflix original series universe. Today, Netflix released its first look at the Season 4 reboot of Narcos starring Michael Pena and Diego Luna.
9. Springsteen On Broadway On Netflix - Put away your wallet — you won’t have to pay hundreds of dollars to see Bruce Springsteen’s Broadway show. Netflix announced Wednesday that it will broadcast The Boss’ one-man show on Dec. 15, his last performance. “Springsteen on Broadway” has been extended three times. He had previously planned to end in February, then pushed it to June 30, then pushed that to Dec. 15. In the show, Springsteen performs more than a dozen songs and tells stories about growing up in New Jersey. Tickets for the show at the Walter Kerr Theatre have been reselling for more than $1,000.
10. Feel - More Boss. Here's a snippet of what you'll see on Netflix on December 15th. From the 2018 Tony Awards:
If you find any peace or value in what I do, any donation, big or small, means a lot and helps keep Ventipop going.
You can make a single donation in any amount you choose by clicking the button below.
The simplest way to support Ventipop is to click on an ad like this one:
11. Voices Carry - This is fun. People try to describe strangers from the sound of their voice:
12. Boomerang Mustang - How Tab Lagow Built, Then Sold, and Then Bought Back His 1966 Mustang Convertible—Completely by Accident
14. Where's Waldo? - Is there a way I can cure motion sickness without also looking like a huge dork? No, says the inventor of Seetroen Glasses.
15. Food - Mayo is catching ketchup. Don't just dip your fries in ketchup—try this instead
16. Obligatory Coffee Link of the Day - Should I tip my barista for a cup of coffee?
17. The Next Erogenous Zone? - The thriving erotic-gaming industry that originated in Japan is now going global.
18. Geographical Oddities - Reno is farther West than Los Angeles and Maine is the U.S. state closest to Africa?