Your Daily Cup of Culture...
Here's The 20 things I found on the internet worth sharing today. Ventipop's Grind posts can be fun, serious, thoughtful, some great new song or something to buy. If not, you can get your money back.
1. Banana Oil! - Banana Oil! was a common phrase people used in the 1920's. It meant "non-sense!" and I'm trying to bring it back. So, by all means, use Banana Oil in a sentence this weekend.
2. 40 Winks In A Pod - Lower you head in shame no longer! You need a nap at work?By God, you take your nap at work! Chicago Tribune: Office napping climbs out from under the desk and into high-tech pods
3. It's Complicated - Having just finished reading Blubber to my kids, I agree 100% female relationships can be quite difficult and complicated. The Atlantic examines Why Women’s Friendships Are So Complicated.
4. Toys R Amazon - With Toys R Us shuttering its stores last week, Amazon sees a hole in the toy market and plans on publishing a print toy catalog like on actual paper.
5. Feel - Detroit-based brand Shinola filmed portraits of newly naturalized U.S. citizens, and gave each of them limited-edition watches engraved with the Statue of Liberty. The timepieces were packaged in a box bearing the phrase 'From this second forward, you are as American as the rest of us.'
6. The Unwritten Manual (now written) - Jen Reviews describes itself as "the unwritten manual that many of us wish existed when we scratched our heads over how to smoke meats without a smoker, how to get rid of bed bugs or what is the best shower head for dogs." All articles on Jen Reviews are written by experts in their particular niches. A team of professionals that includes former Olympians, dietitians, pastry chefs, certified dog trainers and more. And even better, Jen Reviews believes that showing is better than telling which is why most of the articles include how-to videos. Check out Jen Reviews the next time you're searching for a DIY and feel Google is letting you down.
7. No Belgian Waffling - Speaking of Jen Reviews, I really enjoyed this comprehensive 100 Best Things to do in Belgium article and now I very much want to go on a comic scavenger hunt in Brussels. (See #5)
9. Crime & TV - Say what you want about excessive television viewing, but the one thing we don't do when we watch tv is commit crime. The New Yorker: How to Fight Crime with Your Television
10. New Song of the Day - I like her entire record Rabbit Hole but I'll single out "Choirs" by Ashe
11. Anti-Woke? - Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee starts streaming its tenth season today on Netflix. Seinfeld prides himself on 'shows about nothing' but in this day and age, is there anything wrong with that?
12. Trust - I'm trying to be more open to new things, so after 21 years, I finally let my wife make my coffee for me.
13. Country Music as Film Noir? - A unique look at country songs: 12 Country Classics That Capture the Spirit of Noir
14. Leading Ladies in Literature - Strong Women Are Taking Over The Thriller: 7 Badass Female Protagonists Helping to Redefine Modern Thrillers
15. Product of the Day - Ventipop's friends over at The What recommend this economical yet flattering bra for under $20 to wear with dresses that are low cut in the front and/or back (best for C cups or smaller).
16. MVP RB - Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette just raised his stock for my fantasy draft next month. A struggling LSU student was asking for donations of "$1, $5 ANYTHING HELPS!"...so he paid the bill in full.
17. Brazil Nut - Franklin Foer on Neymar: The Annoying Genius Who Makes the World Cup Worth Watching.
18. Be the Ball, Danny - As the 2018 FIFA World Cup enters the quarterfinals, amaze everyone with your vast knowledge of the history of the World Cup ball:
19. A Fulfilling Life - Brainpickings studies Bertrand Russell's musings on how to grow old and what makes a fulfilling life.
20. The Last Drop - This video is Banana Oil! Nick Offerman narrates the delightful "The Gunfighter" (Warning: NSFW):
If you find any peace and value in what I do, any donation, big or small, means a lot and helps keep spreading the positive vibes.
You can make a single donation in any amount you choose by clicking the button below.