Your (Almost) Daily Cup of Culture...
I can't believe I've done 200 of these things. That's a lot of good things and I hope I've brought some smiles to your faces the past two years. I'll keep doing this as long as I need a secret hideout from all the negative and bad shit out there. It's cheaper than a therapist and sometimes you guys buy me a cup of coffee and that's cool. Thanks for reading and choosing to be a part of this. I'd do it without you, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun.
If you find any peace and value in what I do, any donation, big or small, means a lot and helps keep spreading the positive vibes.
You can make a single donation in any amount you choose by clicking the button below.
Here's The 20 things I found on the internet worth sharing today. Your Daily Cup of Culture can be fun, serious, thoughtful or just some great new song or something to buy. If not, you can get your money back.
1. Bicentennial Beyotch! - Here's a great mood booster to kick off today's 20 and celebrate #200:
2. Kitchen Closed? - Home-cooked meals could soon become a thing of the past. Millennials are cooking less and less, and it could hurt America's biggest food companies.
3. A Hole In My Theory - If donut holes have gotten smaller over time, then doesn't that mean we have more actual donut?
4. Underground Music - "Each year, hundreds of musicians vie to see their name not in lights, but in pink, on a banner indicating they’ve earned official status to perform in New York City’s subway stations." - Auditioning Not for Broadway, but the Subway
5. Beyond the Belt - An Australian gastroenterologist and researcher thinks he’s found a way to diagnose I.B.S. quickly and directly: by listening to it with a wide belt, to be worn by the patient, that records the creaks and undulations of the gut, analyzes them with software, and recognizes the distinct sonic signature of I.B.S. - The Belt That Listens To Your Bowels
6. Art & Design & Home Deco - 8 Creative Alternatives to Expensive Wall Art
7. Obligatory Coffee Link of the Day - Amaze your friends with these 15 Coffee Facts
8. Environmental Conscious Brew - Florida brewery unveils six-pack rings that feed sea turtles rather than kill them
9. Love and Loss and Humanity - Around The Horn host Tony Reali wrote a beautifully eloquent piece about the death of his infant son.
10. Parenting - More than screen-obsessed young children, we should be concerned about tuned-out parents.
11. Islands In The Stream - Need something to watch? Check out the best cooking shows available to stream on Hulu. Not a gourmet? Check out the best documentaries available on Netflix.
12. Disney's Mosquito Surveillance Program - This video explains why there are no mosquitos at Disney even though it's build in a swamp:
13. "I Get No Respect!" - Is horror the most disrespected movie genre?
14. Mike's Bike - Schwinn created a brilliant 80's ad for their Stranger Things' bike...the campaign was a huge success as the 1-800 number rang off the hook and the bike sold out in minutes:
15. Buy The Book - Top 10 lost women's classics
16. Vacation Travel Log 2018, Stop #2 - Monterey, California. Travel Tips To Self for Next Time:
- Book a stay in nearby Carmel.
- Skip the Aquarium (stay outside), bypass The Melville Tavern and schedule a much shorter Whale Watching Tour.
17. New Song of the Day - "Carmel By The Sea" by The Whiskey Wasps
I learned about the band The Whiskey Wasps while traveling through Monterey/Carmel. They are an indie-acoustic/folk band founded by husband and wife, Billy Schmidt and Rachel DuVall-Schmidt. Originally from West Palm Beach, FL, the couple relocated to California in February 2017. Recently their music video, Carmel by the Sea, helped sell a $3.5m house and was featured on the cover page of The Carmel Pine Cone as a groundbreaking way to market real estate. Their website says a third album is set for a late 2018 release. Check out their marketing video:
Ventipop's 2018 Playlist
18. Brown Bag Dad - Artistic father Lynell Jinks (a.k.a. “Brown Bag Dad“) sends his two children, Zelina and Izaac, off to school in style by drawing stunning works of art on their paper lunch bags.
19. Marvin's Flag - Martian Flag Assembly is exhibiting seven flag proposals designed by artists around the world, to be planted by astronauts on Mars during the first manned mission. The exhibition is on display at Space10 in Copenhagen.
20. The Last Drop - A Dutch designer created a human-powered machine that knits a scarf in five minutes. Take a ride on the Cyclo Knitter:
Seriously...thanks for reading.