The 20 :: Your Daily Cup of Culture (#195)
Your Daily Cup of Culture...
Starting out the week with a big heartfelt thank you to Ventipop Reader, Lisa McCade who bought me four coffees! Somedays, it's the tiniest kind gesture that can renew something inside you. Today was one of those days and I genuinely appreciate it. Thanks, Lisa. Ventipop is now getting new readers everyday. If you're one of the people shouting Ventipop! to friends and family...thanks to you too. If you're not, please just refer one person today. Pretty Please?
I really need a cool name for Ventipop readers. Shoot me a line if you have any suggestions. In the meantime, here's The 20 things I found on the internet worth sharing today. As always, Your Daily Cup of Culture can be fun, serious, thoughtful or just some great new song or something to buy. If not, you can get your money back.
1. Mugging It Up - Oh, the irony. The Men Running Mugshots.com Have Been Charged With Extortion
2. Bookish Girlfriend - My bookish girlfriend is Holly Golightly from Truman Capote's Breakfast At Tiffany's. Take the quiz to find out who's yours.
4. New Song of the Day - "Plastic Skeletons" by Jealous of the Birds
2018 New Songs You Should Hear Complete Playlist
5. Feel - Merle+Stella — Our City, Our Story — Rockford, Illinois
7. Culture / Boomerang Children - More and more young and not-so-young people are returning home to live with their parents. A phenomenon which is hard on their aging parents.
8. Pirate Booty - Early Hackers Used Whistles From Cap’n Crunch Cereal Boxe
10. Obligatory Coffee Link of the Day - Hugh Jackman's coffee shop needed a new barista — so Ryan Reynolds showed up.
11. "The Slippery Kid" - That's mine. What would be your Major League Baseball Nickname?
12. Long Read of the Day (aka Mental Yoga) - "A desire for squishy teeth is assumed; almost everything else, though, is the buyer’s choice." Are we ready for Robot Sex?
13. "Rolled Ice Cream" - What is it? Where Can I Get It?
14. Strangest Gameshow of the Day - Jimmy Fallon's "What's Behind Me?":
15. To Be Chopped or Not To Be Chopped... - “You’re still knife-and-forking that. For me, I don’t want a single piece of lettuce with dressing and then a carrot and then a pickled vegetable. I want all of the things in one bite. We’re going to continue chopping. It’s in our name.” Salad Leaders Weigh In on Chopped Versus Not-Chopped Controversy.
16. Food & Drink - Wine Lovers rejoice. Wine Kegs are a thing.
17. Culture - China's Village of Real-Life Rapunzels:
18. Quote of the Day - "A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in." -Robert Orben
19. Long Term Memory...Something - How Social Media Is Hurting Your Memory
20. Social Experiment - Social Media would have you convinced that most people are selfish, mean and self-centered. This exdperiment, however, shows a different view, and gives me a lot of hope:
Bonus Song of the Day - "Lost" by Amanda Palmer:
If you find any peace and value in what I do, any donation, big or small, means a lot and helps keep spreading the positive vibes.
You can make a single donation in any amount you choose by clicking the button below.