It's time once again to gather and reminisce about the month that was as November comes to a close already. This month, Ventipop featured approximately 45 products, 22 books/writers, 20 musicians, 15 entertainment related videos, 10 long form articles, 7 stories for foodies, 6 animal stories, 5 quotes, 3 artists, 2 sports links, 2 Harry Potter stories, 1 quiz, links to stories on weird inventions, a Ukrainian SU-27, the Far Side cartoon and probably too many links about the election. And sadly, we said goodbye to Leonard Cohen. It was a full, short yet very long month and I'm ready to turn the page. Here are my favorite links from November 2016.
- Michael Chabon, Zadie Smith, Jason Diamond and Fanny Howe headline Flavorwire's 10-Must Read Books of November.
- A nice summation to the past 16 months: "America The Beautiful's Ugly Election".
- Tim Urban over at the "Wait But Why" Blog wrote a humorous and realistic article on coming to terms with the election results; especially if your candidate didn't win.
- In order to truly understand each other, we have to be willing to openly consider other's opinions. Like this guy, who wrote an interesting take on the election: "Dear Democrats, Read This If You Do Not Understand Why Trump Won".
- Good news! We're living longer. Bad news? We're all slathered in Icy Hot and in pain.
- 70 Animated shorts qualified for the best animated short category of the Academy Awards, a record-setting total for the category. See many of the nominees here.
- Japanese Breakfast video for "Everybody Wants To Love You":
- Time to bust out some pen and paper and start that Christmas List. The Audio Infuser 4700, the Gramophone for iPhone and the Rotary iPhone Dock would satisfy the audiophile in me.
- Publisher's Weekly recommends new books out this week by Haruki Murakami, David Morrell, Trevor Noah and Robbie Robertson.
- One Good Thing. The Washington Post is offering free subscriptions to students, military and government employees. Here's the step-by-step process sign-up process.
- This song is dedicated to the early, dark evenings of a 1980's Ohio and my family that lived there. (Matt Pond PA is one of the great unknown bands. Their new album Winter Lives came out last Friday and is fantastic. Get to know them.)
- Ninety-Nine Stories Of God by Joy Williams is exactly what the title says it is; a collection of very short-stories about the supreme being in wonderfully twisted situations from the mind of Williams herself. It's already a featured read on many 2016 Top Ten Lists. It's so fun and simultaneously thought-provoking; not to be missed.
- Enjoy a fascinating, incredible, long read over at the Guardian. "The Spy Who Couldn’t Spell: How The Biggest Heist in the History of US Espionage Was Foiled".
- If you forced me to make a top 10 list of pop culture things I miss, Gary Larson's cartoon The Far Side would for sure be near the top. It was my morning motivation for nearly two decades. Mental Floss offers up "11 Twisted Facts About The Far Side".
- Ars Technica says it's time to get rid of the Facebook Fake News Feed.
- Chameleon or Not Chameleon?:
A FITBIT THAT'S NOT A FITBIT FOR ONLY $20! :: Want a simpler, cheaper way to count steps? Say hello to the bizarro Fitbit called the Misfit Flash. It's much less expensive than a Fitbit, tracks your steps and sleep...and the band doesn't suck balls. Click the "Buy On Amazon" button below.
- Mashable offers up the fun list of "30 Boring Gifts That Everyone Secretly Wants". (For some odd reason, I'd like to have #30)
- Are you a Sapiosexual?
...The Last Drop
K. Flay :: "Blood In The Cut" (Warning: Adult Words Ahead)