Grind #105 :: There's No Business Like...
// The Oscars, Bad Movies, Misquotes, Castle Rock, Keanu & Late Night Dancing //
We're forgoing our usual Sunday Mental Yoga edition of the Grind so we can pay homage to the Oscars which air tonight. It's nice to know I'm not in the minority, as a new poll shows 6 in 10 Americans can't name a Best Picture Nominee. I love movies, but I do believe someone out there could make a killing if they produced an awards show honoring movies the majority of people actually go and see. The Oscars are fine and I do tend to pay attention to the movies and big winners on Oscar night, but I'd also enjoy a night when Deadpool wins Best Picture and Margot Robbie wins Best Actress for Suicide Squad. (Seriously, you can't take your eyes off her in that movie!) There should be a place for both in our world. Just sayin'. Getcha popcorn ready and enjoy!
- Why does the Oscar for Best Picture usually go to a movie most people haven't seen?
- Get your interactive Oscar Ballot here.
- Besides you on your couch screaming at the tv, who really votes on the Oscars?
- Check out kids explaining Oscar nominated movies.
- Seth Myers stars in the perfect Oscar movie...Oscar Bait:
Only three films have ever taken all "top five" Academy Awards; Best Picture, Best Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay: It Happened One Night (1935), One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975), and The Silence of the Lambs (1991).
- Forget the Oscars, here are this years Razzie Award Nominees celebrating the worst films and performances of the year.
- John Travolta was excellent in Battlefield Earth. Here are the rankings for the 10 Best Male Performances in a Bad Movie.
- What the hell? Bart never said "Cowabunga!" and other movie and TV quotes that everyone gets wrong.
- Stephen King and J.J. Abrams are teaming up for another Hulu Original Series. This one is called Castle Rock. Details are few and far between at this point. But color us intrigued:
At their peak in the baby boomer years after World War II, there were more than 4,000 drive-in movie theaters across the U.S. Today, there are fewer than 500 still in operation.
- Some actors utilize the "It Factor", others master "Inherent Blankness" which is Why Keanu Reeves is the Perfect Action Star.
- Rejoice! 35 New Movies and TV Shows coming to Netflix in March.
- 'Silicon Valley', one of our favorites, returns to HBO on April 23. Here's the season four teaser:
The first film "blockbuster" was Steven Spielberg's Jaws (1975) because people lined up around the block to see the movie.
- Stephen Colbert may be taking over Late Night as his show has now bested Fallon's ratings three weeks in a row.
- But nothing can put Jimmy Fallon in a bad mood. Check out Fallon and Neil Patrick Harris playing a game of Egg Russian Roulette:
...The Last Drop
Grind #105 :: There's No Business Like... ~ Fin.