Grind #77 :: K is for Strikeouts, Killer Spiders and Frozen Kangaroos
We're back to our traditional Daily Grind today as we take a quick gander at the interesting stories floating around the interwebs today. Thanks for all the positive comments on Ventipop's 25 Scary Good Books List. I received a lot of book recommendations and plan to add them to my to-do stack. Today, we have stories on everything from overgrown insects to crazy midcourt basketball shots to backs in outer space. Cheers!
- What's the most popular TV show in your state?
- Give me an "S"! Give me a "U"! Give me a "P"!....Why is the U.S. Supreme Court suddenly interested in cheerleader uniforms?
- Good news! We're living longer. Bad news? We're all slathered in Icy Hot and in pain.
- Even astronauts get out of this world back pain.
- Do yourself a solid and learn these 5 pressure points to relieve stress.
- This will never happen for me, but maybe there's still hope for you: "How To Turn Yourself Into A Morning Person".
- Pop Quiz, Hotshot! :: Apparently, I would not pass a high school health class.
- Author Nicholson Baker spent 28 days being a substitute teacher then documented each day in his new book "Substitute". He's not offering commentary on the state of our education system, but letting the readers decide based on the words of the kids and other teachers he interacts with over his time inside the walls.
- Imagine working at a place where a frozen humpback whale gets delivered to your front door via FedEx. Deliveries like this are made every day at the Frozen Zoo just north of San Diego. Their mission: Bring extinct animals back to life. But no one say "Jurassic Park". Shhh.
- One of the reasons my wife married me was so I could catch spiders for her. We'd have to get a divorce if we lived in Australia because there's no way I'm going near an Australian Huntsman spider. They don't need webs to catch their prey. They use their speed and are big enough to carry mice around. Yikes.
- The Australian Huntsmen spider got me wondering, "What Was The Biggest Insect To Ever Live?"
- Chips are awesome but I don't think I'd pay $11 per chip.
- Why does the letter "K" represent a strikeout in baseball?
- College Basketball Story of the Week. Two East Tennessee State students are going to school for free:
...The Last Drop
Ani DiFranco always has a way to put things into perspective no matter how you look at things: